I went to the Washington coast last week. I think this is the first time I ever tried fern with copper pipe as the mordant. I had wrapped the silk around a pipe with some vinegar water for a few weeks before, so it was good and green. I was surprised it printed so well and that it was, well, copper colored!
Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Sunday, March 15, 2015
Today was a good day. I got a lot done on the domestic front and managed to accomplish a few things in the studio. The bust forms are done, did some dyeing with red cabbage and I got to open this up and see what happened. This is privet berries with miscellaneous dried leaves and rusty objects. Apparently from what I have read you can get blue or green depending on the mordant. Now I am watching the quail clean up under the bird feeder, goodnight all!
Sunday, March 8, 2015
Wednesday, March 4, 2015
I have had a lot of ideas for scarfflettes lately and have not been able to find the hardware I see in my head. Last fall I started taking ceramics classes in an effort to come up with the parts to complete the pieces. I am really happy with the results! Not only can I now make up my own organic looking accents but doing it in a community setting allows me to meet other artists while creating these objects in an ecologically responsible way. When we share the expenses of running a studio we also reduce the power usage needed to run a bunch of individual kilns etc. I am really grateful for this experience!